Man, 20, apologizes for murdering 81-year-old woman

Man, 20, apologizes for murdering 81-year-old woman
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — A visit to the home of an 81-year-old woman was never meant to end in her death, but it did.

"Things got out of hand real fast," said 20-year-old David Moses. "It was an accident."

Moses and 17-year-old Katila Nash were convicted this week of first-degree murder in the April 2010 beating death of Dorothy Session. The same jury that convicted the pair could not agree on a verdict for a third defendant, 19-year-old Angelique Nash, and a mistrial was declared.

Moses spoke to Eyewitness News in a jailhouse interview Thursday. He said that about an hour before his encounter with Session, he had smoked marijuana, but was unaware that it had been laced with the hallucinogenic drug commonly referred to as "KJ."

"I just felt like I was going to have an asthma attack or heart attack or something," said Moses.

Moses said he and the Nash sisters were trying to find a friend who lived in the area of Camino Sierra and Pacific streets. And he needed to use a phone.

The trio had gone door to door in the area, knocking on doors and asking for someone named either Mathew or Erica, said Moses. Then, they knocked on the Session's door. Moses claimed the elderly woman gave him and Katila Nash permission to enter her home while Angelique Nash waited outside.

Police had accused the trio of casing the neighborhood for a house to burglarize.

Moses said Session allowed him to use her phone and he called his uncle, but his uncle did not answer. Moses said he was not feeling well and then, at that moment, Session appeared.

"I just panicked. She went somewhere and then she just came out of the kitchen. And I struck her," said Moses.

Moses said he twice hit the elderly woman, and she later died as a result of blunt-force trauma to her head.

Police, once again, claimed the trio went to the home to burglarize it and unexpectedly found Session inside.

Moses said he regrets what happened, saying it was an accident.

"I send my condolences to the family, I just want to tell them that I'm sorry," said Moses.