Lamont store that burned maybe didn't have working smoke alarms

Lamont store that burned maybe didn't have working smoke alarms
LAMONT, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — Fire officials said a Lamont clothing store that burned Wednesday had passed a fire safety inspection less than two weeks ago.

The store also passed the inspection despite no signs of working smoke alarms.

Owners of Sebril clothing store said Thursday that they can’t remember if the building was outfitted with smoke alarms.

Kern County Fire Department spokesman Brett Grassi said smoke alarms weren’t a factor in passing the inspection.

“The day we did our inspection, they did meet the requirements set forth by the California Fire Code,” Grassi said.

KCFD does encourage businesses to have smoke alarms even if they aren’t required.