Guest home being used for hospice care destroyed in fire

Guest home being used for hospice care destroyed in fire »Play Video

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) -- A guest house that Kern County firefighters say was being used for hospice care was destroyed in a fire Saturday afternoon.

The fire at the home in the 15000 block of Marty Avenue was reported around 1:17 p.m.

Firefighters said smoke and flames were coming from the house attached to the garage as they arrived.  The fire had already spread to a travel trailer parked between that and another home as well as a fence and was getting into the eves of a neighbor's home.

Crews made entry through a side gate and knocked down the flames, keeping them from getting into propane tanks which they said could have created even more of a hazard.

A fire spokesman said the guest house that was destroyed was being used for hospice care.

Everyone in both homes was able to get out safely.

Extreme weather with triple digit temperatures presented an increased risk to crews fighting the fire, so importance was placed on keeping them hydrated.

No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire wasn't immediately known.

Damage from the fire is estimated at $60,000, while the value of property saved was put around $900,000.