BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — The death of a 3-year-old Bakersfield boy in January has been determined to be natural following the results of toxicology and other tests ordered by the Kern County coroner's office.
Giovanni Quiroz died in his sleep Jan. 29 at his home in the 300 block of Crawford Street.
His mother said he wasn't feeling well the night before but watched his favorite movies and fell asleep. When she went to wake him the next morning, he was unresponsive.
An autopsy was inconclusive, but investigators never suspected foul play.
In a news release Monday evening from the Coroner Section of the Kern County Sheriff's Office, the manner of death was listed as natural. The cause of death was determined to be hypernatremic dehydration and bronchiolitis. Both are common complications of viral infections in infants.