Bakersfield Marriott fire prompts evacuations

Bakersfield Marriott fire prompts evacuations »Play Video
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — A laundry room fire prompted evacuations Wednesday morning at the Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center.

About 200 people staying in the hotel were asked to go outside as a precaution. No injuries were reported.

The city's fire department said lent from commercial laundry dryers, which are located in the hotel's basement, accumulates into an exterior exhaust vault. That vault is covered on the surface by a metal grate.

Someone discarded a cigarette into the grate, igniting the lint.

The fire spread into the laundry room and burned bed sheets stored in cardboard boxes.

Damage was estimated at $20,000, the fire department said.