Discarded smoking material sparks apartment fire

Discarded smoking material sparks apartment fire
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — Two apartments were damaged by fire after someone "discarded smoking material in a waste basket" Wednesday morning, according to the Bakersfield Fire Department.

The fire erupted around 6 a.m. at a 10-unit complex on Eric Way near Mt. Vernon Avenue. Two other apartments sustained smoke damage. Four families were evacuated or displaced, and the total estimated loss was $325,000, the fire department said.

No injuries were reported.

The fire department is considering the fire accidental.