People found with exploding devices initiated by chemical reactions, altered fireworks or other explosives are subject to arrest, the fire department said.
Fireworks task force members will patrol Bakersfield Tuesday and Wednesday, July 3 and 4, to enforce the city and state fireworks codes. Citizens can call a hotline, (661) 868-6070, from 7 p.m. to midnight Tuesday and Wednesday to report illegal firework activity.
To be legal in California, all fireworks must have the state of California fire marshal's seal and the slogan "Safe & Sane." Piccolo Pete or other whistling-type fireworks and ground bloom-type fireworks are illegal in the city.
Legal fireworks can be sold:
- noon to 11 p.m. July 1
- 6 a.m. To 11 p.m. July 2 and 3
- 6 a.m. July 4 to a minute after midnight July 5
Legal fireworks can be used:
- noon July 1 until a minute after midnight the next day
- 9 a.m. July 2 and 3 until a minute after midnight each of the next days
- 9 a.m. July 4 until 12:30 a.m. July 5
- noon Dec. 31 until 12:30 a.m. Jan. 1