BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — The country music star behind the upcoming album "Bakersfield" is coming to Bakersfield to perform.
Vince Gill will perform 7:30 p.m. Oct. 25 at Rabobank Theater, AEG Management Bakersfield announced Friday. Tickets go on sale 10 a.m. Aug. 2 and will be available via the Rabobank Theater box office, charge-by-phone at (800) 745-3000, all Ticketmaster locations and ticketmaster.com.
Vince Gill teamed with steel guitarist Paul Franklin to release an album in tribute of the Bakersfield Sound, which the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum called "the loud, stripped-down and radio-ready music most closely identified with the careers of Country Music Hall of Fame members Buck Owens and Merle Haggard."
"My history with Buck Owens is so deep and so long and so much a part of being grounded in my childhood," Gill said in the news release announcing the concert. "Those TV shows he did were filmed in Oklahoma City where I grew up. I didn't know that then or I would have been down there every Saturday watching. As for Merle, his songs are so compelling and truthful, for me he's the greatest living country singer and songwriter ever."
Meanwhile, Friday night KUZZ radio will air "This Is Bakersfield," a 60-minute preview of the new "Bakersfield" album. The program will air at 8 p.m. on 107.9 FM and 550 AM and online at kuzz.com.
"Bakersfield" will be released July 30 and will feature 10 songs that originated with Owens and Haggard:
- "Foolin' Around" - Owens (written by Harlan Howard and Owens)
- "Branded Man" - Haggard (written by Haggard)
- "Together Again" - Owens (written by Owens)
- "The Bottle Let Me Down" - Haggard (written by Haggard)
- "He Don't Deserve You Anymore" - Owens (written by Arty Lange and Owens)
- "I Can't Be Myself" - Haggard (written by Haggard)
- "Nobody's Fool But Yours" - Owens (written by Owens)
- "Holding Things Together" - Haggard (written by Bob Trotten and Haggard)
- "But I Do" - Owens (written by Tommy Collins)
- "The Fightin' Side Of Me" - Haggard (written by Haggard)