Hospital: Child who died was in 'good condition'

Hospital: Child who died was in 'good condition' »Play Video
Unique Mendoza is seen in a family photo.
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- Doctors at Memorial Hospital diagnosed 5-year-old Unique Mendoza with gastritis, prescribed some Tylenol and Motrin and sent her home.

A few hours later, the little girl died at home.

"It doesn't make any sense at all," said grandmother Amelia Caudillo.

The emergency room report obtained by Eyewitness News states
Unique was complaining of nausea and vomiting. The family adds the child was also hallucinating and too weak to stand or walk

Unique originally complained of being bitten by a spider.

The hospital report states Unique's physical traits were generally good.

"The patient was in no acute distress," reads the report dictated by
physician's assistant Pamela Lancaster.

In the emergency department, Unique was given Motrin and Zofran, an anti-nausea medication, which she tolerated well with no adverse reaction. Unique was asking for juice and drank two cups with no vomiting.

The report states Unique was answering questions appropriately at the time of discharge.

The hospital's plan called prescribing Tylenol and Motrin with instructions to see her regular doctor.

"The patient was discharged in good condition," reads the report..
Unique's family, however, begs to differ.

"That's a lie," said Unique's mother, Jenny Mendoza.

"My baby was not let home in good condition, she was still sick," said Mendoza. "They didn't put everything in there that was supposed to be in there."

Grandmother Caudillo said that after Unique's death, she got a call from the Kern County Coroner's office telling her Unique had meningitis. Yet nothing in the hospital report states anything about Unique contracting meningitis. And the coroner's office has not yet released the cause of death.

The family claims Memorial Hospital never took a blood or urine sample from Unique nor did it do a spinal tap. Up until now, Memorial Hospital refused to comment on this case, citing patient-confidentiality laws. And the family says Memorial Hospital has not contacted them to offer any kind of explanation.

"I am not going to let it rest ... for my baby, I can't," said grandmother Caudillo.