Northeast Bakersfield

Fire caused by tobacco pipe left unattended

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) -- A fire in a home in east Bakersfield was started by a tobacco pipe left unattended, according to a news release from the Kern County Fire Dept.

The fire was reported just after 9:30 p.m. Friday at a home in the 600 block of Bates Ave.

No injuries were reported.

"The fire crews commenced an aggressive attack on this fire and kept it from spreading to the rest of the house," said a news release.

Kern County firefighters were assisted by crews from the city.

The value of the structure saved was estimated at $100,000.