BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) - After a four-year hiatus, Bakersfield College Memorial Stadium will see fireworks lighting up the sky once again this year.
Vision Corps. has partnered with Canyon Hills Church, SC Anderson, Grimmway Enterprises, San Joaquin Community Hospital and other sponsors to present the I Love America Liberty Festival & Freedom Celebration on July 4.
The annual show was canceled in 2010 for lack of sponsorship.
Beginning at 2:30 p.m. on the Fourth of July, the Liberty Festival will include a storyteller, inflatable bounce houses for kids, games, activities, booths and food.
Several competitions are being held, including:
- Patriotic Photo Contest (Henley's Photo)
- Bakersfield Singing Star (patriotic singing)
- Young Patriot (kids talent and costume)
- Bakersfield's Best Dressed Bicycle (bike decorating)
- Beautiful Bakersfield Baby (baby photo)
Register for contests at iloveamericabakersfield.com.
The evening celebration begins at 7:30 p.m. inside Memorial Stadium. It will feature a parade, a marching band, skydivers, the Bakersfield College drum line, military and veterans' honors, remembrance of the victims of 9/11, music by a 150-voice singing flag, and the grand-finale fireworks show choreographed to music.
For tickets, visit one of the following locations in Bakersfield:
- Emporium Western Store, 1031 19th St.
- Henley's Photo, 2000 H St.
- Snider's Cyclery, 2700 Union Ave.
- Hope Christian Stores, 3000 Mall View Road, No. 1105
- First Assembly of God Church, 4901 California Ave.
- Peet's Coffee at the Summit, 7100 Auburn St.
- Canyon Hills Church or preschool, 7001 Auburn St.